One essential piece of advice: Think layers when visiting Vegas in December.
We usually bring long-sleeved tops, a sweater/hoodie, and a jacket. This way, we are prepared for any kind of temps without having to bring a lot of different kinds of clothing.
- Weather Overview
- What to Wear | Overview
- Styling & Combination Tips| December Clothing Items
- What to Wear in Restaurants and Casinos
- Do You Need a Winter Jacket?
Recently, in December, the highs in Vegas were in the mid-50s/low60s, sunny/no wind. We wore a sweater/hoodie when leaving the hotel in the morning. On some afternoons, we were able to take it off. Just about everyone we saw wore a jacket at night after the sun went down.
🎟️ Top Activities:
The temps you experience in December can be different from previous years, of course. You could hit a warm or cool spell. The best choices, regardless of varying weather conditions, are long sleeves, a sweater, and a jacket. Those basic items will get you through everything and anything during December in Vegas.
Essentials: For December, pack some long-sleeved shirts, a medium-weight cardigan, and a lined jacket.
💡 That was just an overview. More detailed clothing tips later and tips at the end of this article if you need a winter coat!
- Early December: 61°F (16°C) average high
- Mid-December: 58°F (14°C) average high
- Late December: 56°F (14) average high
Temperature progression on a typical day in December:
- Morning (8 AM): 44°F
- Afternoon (3 PM): 57°F
- Evening (7 PM): 47°F
💡 You usually experience mild sunny afternoons and chilly cool mornings and evenings during this month.
Does it snow in December? While you might see a few snow flurries, snowfall is very rare and uncommon in Las Vegas during December. This means you won’t have to worry about snowfall and ignore it on your packing list.
December Quick Facts and Tips
Attractions/Shows: Every attraction is open in December, and all the shows are running.
Pools: December is not the best pool weather. However, some hotels have their heated pools open, especially on the Strip. Make sure to check with your hotel first.
Accommodation: Hotel prices are moderate in early December, but they begin to rise before Christmas.
Clothing: Dress in layers, and carry a sweater, a light jacket, a medium jacket, and a pair of comfy long pants. Bring t-shirts for sunny afternoons.
What to Wear | Overview
Because of Las Vegas’s predictable weather during any month, a packing list for December is relatively easy to create. From our experience, layering is key during this month.
In December, the majority of visitors to Las Vegas will want to dress warmly in the mornings and at night. On a warmer and sunny afternoon during your vacation, you may feel more comfortable in a short-sleeved t-shirt. However, a long-sleeved shirt is, in general, the ideal option for a December trip.
Accessories | Bags
Bring a suitable bag! You will need one for carrying water, your wallet, phone, jacket, and hand sanitizer.
We highly recommend a bag with anti-theft features (see our recommendations above) to keep your belongings safe in the city!
🔒 Tourists in Vegas are an easy target for thieves, particularly in congested areas such as downtown, Fremont Street, the Strip, and on public transportation such as the monorail. Be careful and carry an anti-theft bag.
- A medium coat
- A light sweater or jacket
- Long-sleeve T-shirts or blouses
- Comfortable flat shoes for walking (many underestimate the amount of walking!)
- For dinner and a show: a long dress with flats
- For bars/clubs: a shorter dress and high heels (option, keep flats in your purse for later)
- Jewelry that elevates your look
- For heated pools: Your favorite swimsuit and sandals (just in case)
- Optional for warmer afternoons: T-shirts / short sleeves
- A medium coat
- Long-sleeve T-shirts
- A vest or light jacket
- Athletic shoes
- For dinner and a show: dark jeans/slacks and a button-down shirt
- To get into clubs: dark jeans/slacks and a button-down shirt, plus a sports coat/blazer or a full-fitted suit
- Dress shoes or minimalist sneakers
- For heated pools: Swimwear
- Optional for warmer afternoons: T-shirts / short sleeves
Visiting Casinos and Shows
While there is no official dress code, we always recommend dressing smartly when visiting casinos or shows. For women, this is an eye-catching dress with complimenting jewelry and accessories.
For men visiting casinos or shows, you should wear smart pants and a blazer or fitted jacket over a button-up shirt.
Christmas and New Year’s
Take note of the strict dress codes for restaurants and clubs if you’re traveling for Christmas and New Year’s. Many special events will have dress standards, so be prepared for this ahead of time.
Styling & Combination Tips| December Clothing Items
Now that you know the general vibe for Las Vegas in December, let’s dig into the essential clothing items in more detail. These are items you’ll want to make sure you pack, tailored to the December climate and Las Vegas setting.
- COMFORTABLE RAIN JACKET: The Columbia Women’s Switchback Lined Long Rain Jacket is a longer version, fully lined...
- Soft and Comfortable: the jacket exterior is made from 96% polyester blended with 4% spandex, while the interior is...
- ATTENTION PLEASE: We update the size from 2018/10/25(add size XXL, and sized up for other sizes according to the...
In December, the temperature in Las Vegas cools down further, especially when the sun goes down, making a medium jacket a must-have for most visitors. A jacket of medium thickness will keep you comfortable through the colder nights and the brisk mornings.
Some visitors bring a winter coat.
Keep in mind that some visitors don’t get cold easily and only pack a light jacket or a hoodie. However, they still need layers, of course!
At the end of this article, we discuss the necessity of a winter jacket in detail.
Styling tips for a medium jacket:
- For both men and women, a medium jacket in a classic style, such as a bomber or pea coat, offers both warmth and fashion.
- Layering is key, so wear it over sweaters or long-sleeve shirts to easily adjust to the day’s changing temperatures.
- Ladies, try pairing your jacket with jeans and knee-high boots for a chic, weather-appropriate look.
- Men can opt for a medium jacket over a fine-knit sweater and chinos for a look that balances smart and casual.
- Choose a jacket with large pockets — they come in handy for storing gloves or a beanie when you’re not using them.
While the days can still be mild, particularly in the sunshine, you’ll likely want to keep your jacket close by to throw on as soon as the sun begins to set or if you’re in shaded areas.
In the evening, temperatures can get quite chilly, potentially dropping to the 40s or even lower, making your medium jacket an essential piece for nighttime outings.
Sweater or Cardigan
- REGULAR FIT: Close but comfortable fit through chest, waist, and hips.
- Great Features: UNIQUE OUTSIDE SEAM DESIGN, crewneck long sleeve sweater, tunic tops for leggings, side split...
- Size - XS=US(0-2), S=US(4-6), M=US(8-10), L=US(12-14), XL=US(16-18），choose your normal size，see details in...
Sweaters and cardigans remain essential for Las Vegas in December due to their versatility and layering capability. They can be the perfect piece to wear under your medium jacket when facing the colder December weather.
Styling tips for sweaters or cardigans:
- Choose thicker knits for December to ensure you stay cozy.
- A festive color or pattern can add some holiday spirit to your outfit.
- A cardigan can be a versatile layer for women, worn over dresses or with a stylish top and jeans.
- For men, a shawl neck sweater can provide extra warmth and add an element of sophistication to the outfit.
- Consider bringing a thermal undershirt to layer under your sweater for those extra cold days.
In December, the sweater or cardigan might stay on throughout the day, as temperatures can be cool even when the sun is out. However, they can still be removed easily if you find yourself in a warmer indoor setting for a long period, such as a museum or a shopping mall. During the evening, when it’s coldest, your sweater or cardigan becomes an indispensable part of your ensemble, ensuring warmth as you enjoy the nighttime attractions of Las Vegas.
In both cases, whether it’s a medium jacket for the sharp chill of December evenings or a sweater to ward off the milder daytime cool, these pieces are about balancing comfort with the freedom to enjoy all that Las Vegas has to offer during the winter season.
Essential Clothing Items for Women
For December in Las Vegas, a cute top is still a go-to choice for women, especially for indoor activities or layering under heavier outerwear. With cooler temperatures, especially in the evenings, consider cute tops with longer sleeves or made from warmer materials like velvet or thicker cotton.
Styling tips for a cute top:
- Look for tops with seasonal details like sequins or metallics, perfect for holiday festivities.
- Layer under a cardigan or blazer for added warmth and style flexibility.
- A mock turtleneck or a top with a cowl neck can offer extra warmth and looks stylish.
- Combine with a statement necklace or scarf to add a pop of color and sophistication.
- Tuck into high-waisted pants for a polished look that also helps keep the chill off your back.
- BOYFRIEND JEANS. Complete comfort meets Legendary style in our women's boyfriend jeans. With a mid-rise and worn-in...
- Low Rise; Loose through hip and thigh
Jeans are a versatile choice for Vegas in December. Since the weather is cooler, you can opt for heavier denim which also provides warmth.
Styling tips for jeans:
- Dark wash jeans are both flattering and versatile for day-to-night transitions.
- Skinny or straight-leg styles can tuck into boots to keep you warm and on-trend.
- Consider jeans with a bit of stretch for comfort, especially when sitting through shows or at dinner.
- Pair with a sparkly top and blazer for an evening out, or with a cozy sweater for daytime strolls.
- Jeans with a higher waistband are not only stylish but also offer extra protection against the cold.
Nice pants, such as tailored slacks or fashionable culottes, are ideal for dressier occasions in Las Vegas during December.
Styling tips for nice pants:
- Choose pants in heavier fabrics like wool blends to keep warm.
- High-waisted styles can be both flattering and warm, perfect for cooler weather.
- Pair with a silky blouse or a fitted sweater for an elegant look.
- Wide-leg pants paired with heels give a sophisticated silhouette and added height.
- For a modern twist, try leather or faux leather pants, which are trendy and provide extra insulation.
- Stretchy, mesh running shoes with extra cushioning for all-day comfort
- adidas womens Sneaker
- Women's streamlined shoes for all-day comfort
Comfortable shoes or sneakers are essential for walking around the Strip and exploring all that Vegas has to offer.
Styling tips for comfortable shoes/sneakers:
- Opt for waterproof or water-resistant materials to guard against any unexpected winter weather.
- Choose shoes with good support and cushioning for long days on your feet.
- Sneakers can be stylish—look for pairs in leather or with embellishments to elevate your look.
- Match your sneakers with your outfit’s color scheme for a coordinated appearance.
- Consider slip-on sneakers for easy removal, especially when going through security checks for shows or attractions.
Heels or Flats (For Clubs/Shows)
- Buckle at ankle closure.
- Open Toe Chunky Heel
- All-Day Delight: Look fabulous on your special day with these heels for women with a 4mm latex insole covered in...
Whether you prefer heels or flats, you’ll want a pair that’s club-appropriate yet comfortable enough to dance in or stand for hours.
💡 Many clubs have strict dress codes and require you to wear high heels. Consider bringing a pair of roll-up flats to switch after walking to the club.
Styling tips for heels or flats:
- Select a chunky heel or platform for better stability and comfort.
- Flats can be just as chic—look for pointed toes or embellished details.
- Consider heel cushions or inserts for additional comfort in your dance-ready shoes.
- A neutral color like black or nude will match with multiple outfits.
- Always break in your shoes before hitting the club to avoid blisters.
When dressing for Vegas in December, the key is to combine style with practicality. It’s all about layers and choosing pieces that can easily adapt from the cool daytime to the even cooler nights, while still keeping you ready for any indoor event, be it a casual gathering or a night out at the clubs.
- COMFY FABRIC: This Long Sleeve Dress Is Made Of High Quality Fabric, Soft, Stretchy And Skin-Friendly. Women's Long...
- Top at the chest is mesh, very stretchy, PLEASE ORDER YOUR TRUE SIZE OR ONE SIZE DOWN !!!
- Size Guide: S=US 4-6, M=US 8-10，L=US 12-14，XL=US 16-18, XXL=US 20. Item-knit sweater dress for women fall and...
An elegant dress is a must-have for a woman’s wardrobe when visiting the vibrant nightlife of clubs and casinos in Las Vegas during December. The right dress can make you feel fabulous and fitting for the glamorous setting.
💡 If you are planning to go to a club, keep in mind that you might have to wait in line outside for a while, especially in the cold weather. To avoid any discomfort, consider wearing black pants instead of a dress. However, if you are determined to wear a cute dress, be prepared to endure the colder temps outside. Also, make sure to check if the club has a coat check before heading out.
Styling tips for an elegant dress:
- A little black dress is timeless and perfect for any club or casino; it’s also easy to accessorize.
- Velvet dresses are ideal for winter and give off a luxurious vibe that’s perfect for Vegas evenings.
- For Christmas, consider a dress in festive colors like red, green, or even metallics to embrace the holiday spirit.
- Opt for a dress with sleeves or a heavier fabric to stay warm, or be ready to layer with a sleek blazer or coat.
- A dress with some stretch will provide comfort without sacrificing style, especially important in a city where you might be walking or dancing.
An elegant dress isn’t just for looks; it’s about feeling confident and enjoying the opulence and excitement that come with a Las Vegas night out. During the cooler month of December, your dress can be both a stylish statement and a comfortable choice for the indoor warmth of clubs and casinos, where the festive season is in full swing.
Pair it with a warm scarf or coat when traveling between venues to ensure you stay warm without compromising on style.
A warm scarf is an accessory we always bring for December in Vegas. It’s not just a stylish addition to your outfit but also a practical one, providing warmth in the crisp desert chill that can occur, especially in the evening.
Styling tips for a warm scarf:
- Choose a scarf in a soft, thick material like wool or cashmere for maximum warmth.
- A scarf with a bold pattern or color can brighten up a simple outfit and act as a statement piece.
- For versatility, a large scarf can be worn draped over the shoulders like a shawl in cooler indoor places.
- Infinity scarves are fuss-free and stay put, which is great for when you’re on the move.
- Coordinate the color of your scarf with your outfit, or go for a contrasting hue for a pop of interest.
A warm scarf is not only functional but also a chic way to tackle the varying temperatures of Las Vegas in December. During the day, it can be loosened or removed as needed when moving between the outdoor chill and the often well-heated indoor areas.
As night falls and the temperature drops, wrapping up in a cozy scarf can keep the cold at bay while you’re out enjoying the festive lights and attractions.
What to Wear in Restaurants and Casinos
Las Vegas is known for its exquisite dining options, ranging from casual eateries to high-end gourmet restaurants. Dress codes can vary, but it’s generally a good idea to err on the side of dressy.
For women, a smart dress or skirt and blouse combo works well. Add a light jacket, and you’re golden. Men can opt for a button-down shirt and smart pants. If the restaurant is more upscale, add a blazer to elevate the look.
The vibe in casinos is usually more relaxed, but you still want to look presentable. Women can opt for smart-casual outfits like a blouse with jeans and a nice jacket.
Men should aim for a clean button-up shirt and trousers, and maybe a blazer if you’re feeling it. Sneakers are generally okay, but make sure they’re clean and in good condition.
Do You Need a Winter Jacket?
Visiting Las Vegas during the winter months, particularly in December, can come with a bit of a weather surprise for those who associate the desert with heat and sunshine.
Our experience: On all our winter trips to Las Vegas, we have not worn a winter coat, just a spring/fall-type jacket and layers. We have been just fine every time. However, we also saw visitors with winter coats. If you get cold easily, consider bringing a warmer coat for the nights or for outdoor attractions like the Hoover Dam.
Based on visitor experiences and weather data, let’s unpack the necessity of a winter jacket during this time.
Daytime and Night Temperatures
- Daytime: Expect temperatures in the range of 50°F to 60°F (10°C to 16°C). These are pretty mild temperatures, so you won’t need a heavy jacket.
- Night: It gets chillier, with temperatures often dropping to the 30s°F (-1°C to 4°C). This is when you’ll want something warmer.
What Kind of Jacket Should You Pack?
Based on the tips from seasoned Vegas visitors and the weather data, here’s what you should consider:
- Layers: This is a consistent piece of advice. Start with a base layer, like a long-sleeve t-shirt, add a sweater, and top it off with a jacket.
- Type of Jacket: During the day, a fleece or light jacket should suffice. At night, opt for something warmer, like a wool or leather jacket. Most bring a lined jacket.
- Accessories: Don’t forget a scarf for nighttime. That can make a big difference in your comfort level.
- Casinos and Indoor Areas: They can be warm, so having a jacket you can easily take off and carry with you is wise.
- Convenience: Some hotels and casinos have bell desks where you can leave your jacket, so you won’t have to carry it around. Just check in advance, as some don’t have coat checks.
Detailed Tips for Your Vegas Winter Wardrobe
- For Daytime:
- A light fleece jacket or a long-sleeve shirt with a vest.
- Comfortable, casual pants or jeans.
- A hat or cap can be handy if you’re spending a lot of time outside.
- For Nighttime:
- Consider a medium-weight leather or wool jacket.
- Layer with a sweater underneath, especially if you plan to be outdoors.
- Warm accessories like a scarf can be crucial.
- Personal Comfort: What’s most important is your comfort. If you tend to get cold easily, lean towards warmer options. Visitors from warmer climates might find Las Vegas’s winter temperatures to be quite cold, prompting them to pack heavier coats.
- Style: Anything goes in Vegas, so wear what makes you feel good.
- Practicality: Choose jackets that are easy to carry or check-in, since you might be moving between drastically different temperatures indoors and out.
John says: During our family trip in January, we were glad to have our fleece jackets for the daytime strolls and our leather jackets for the evening shows. The scarf I brought along was not just a fashion statement but a necessity when the wind picked up at night.
Emily says: I found a lightweight down jacket to be perfect for the evenings, especially when we ventured to the Fremont Street Experience. It was easy to pack and kept me toasty.
Alex says: Layering was key for us. A sweater and a lined coat worked great. Also, leaving our coats at the bell desk while hopping from casino to casino was incredibly convenient.
Remember, the desert can be deceptively cold in the winter, especially when the sun goes down. So even though you might not need your snow boots and heavy parka, bringing a good jacket and some layers will ensure you stay comfortable on your Las Vegas winter adventure. Have a great trip!